Recent weather conditions have promoted rampant mould growth across Australia’s Eastern States, infiltrating businesses and homes, prompting health concerns and internal structural issues for buildings.
Mould spores can spell double trouble for building owners trying to do the right thing by their clients and employees.
ServiceFM’s air purification specialist Dr Mike Woodrow said inadvertent inhalation of airborne mould spores could be an invisible killer, while particles settling onto walls and ceilings can be both unsightly and damaging to a building’s internal structures.
“Weather conditions across Australia have really led to rampant mould growth in both workplaces and homes,” Dr Woodrow said.
“I think we all know what that looks like. It’s a discolouration, sometimes visible mould growth and, also, that musty smell.
“Mould’s really just a type of fungus that grows on surfaces and replicates through mould spores in the air which produces quite significant health challenges for our workplaces.”
Humid weather, flooding or ceiling leaks can promote mould growth and Dr Woodrow said taking note of the warning signs is critical:
- Discolouration on the walls or ceilings.
- Visible mould growth.
- Musty smells in damp or poorly ventilated spaces.
The air purification specialist said the health ramifications promoted by mould’s presence in a building are many but often start with respiratory challenges, such as watering eyes, congested sinuses, coughing, breathlessness and/or wheezing.
“I think this is especially important to us as employers as we have a duty of care to provide a safe workplace for our team.”
Prolonged exposure to mould can also have dramatic consequences on the nervous system, causing headaches, rising blood pressure, along with causing loss of memory or concentration lapses.
Other issues associated with rampant mould growth can include rashes, fatigue, constipation, diarrhoea, and bladder irritability.
Ventilation is critical
Dr Woodrow said ventilation is critical in preventing mould, with the provision of air purification in buildings, which has become prominent as anti-COVID-19 measure during the pandemic, now becoming an expectation.
“Ventilation is a critical aspect for the control of mould in a workplace. Airofresh is highly effective in eliminating the airborne spread of mould spores,” Dr Woodrow said.
ServiceFM’s Airofresh system is an Australian-made product that features no storage filters, uses no chemicals and is 100% safe and recyclable.
Unlike other air purification units, Airosafe does not generate ozone and is far more capable and efficient than other ion, HEPA or catalytic air purifiers on the market.
Testing by Flinders University confirms elimination of 99.9999% of airborne viruses, 13-log first pass (immediate).
There is no better or safer option on the market and all claims are scientifically proven.
“Airofresh is quite different to other air purifiers in that it doesn’t rely on physical filters or chemical applications,” Dr Woodrow said.
“Using natural processes to activate water vapour that’s natural in the air, circulating continuously within the room, eliminating odours but, more importantly, destroying the pathogens that are of concern to us.
“So there’s a continual natural purification of indoor air without the need for physical filters or chemical application.”
For further information, contact ServiceFM on 1300 300 959.